Sunday 23 April 2017

Where Do You Put Your Faith On?

Note: This time post's talk will be heavy on Christianity. Do pass or read if you're interested :)


I had a direct hit on my point of view today, as I was being reminded about my faith.

I went to my church today, and the one that tell us the sermon was not the pastor, however it was one of us, a senior that often shares some light sermon if there were none of the pastor were available that day (I attended teenage community service, not the main Sunday service thus explains the pastor's abstinence once or twice in some period).

However one thing funny is the words from my senior is somehow far more impactful rather than the usual sermon.

Today's talk is about faith, starting from the story of Lazarus, who was brought to life by Jesus. There are 2 major points that teach me a lot today.

First point that hit me hard was this verse from John 11:40, which state Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?” 

Somehow we as human believe something AFTER we see some facts, and based on the facts that appear in our eye, we conclude future events that come after it, thus we believe that future events will happen. 

For example we have studied so hard and we believe that we will pass the test.  

We see, then we believe. However, Jesus told us to BELIEVE FIRST, then we will SEE (His Glory). That's the whole point of faith, believing something that didn't even appear in the human eyes. Worst talk, even some people who have seen the miracle of Jesus who brought Lazarus to life again, didn't believe in Him and even planned to kill Him (verse 53)

This point continues onto the second point of the sermon that is significant to me.
Continued from the first point, my senior tell us one story, that her workplace is an organization that focuses on taking care of people with disability, which most of them usually can't talk and can't walk. One day, there was a visit from teachers from Malaysia which they come to do some studies and sharing, and during their prayers together these Malaysian teacher said that "they have faith that all of this people with disabilities will talk and walk again someday!". However surprisingly my senior's teacher (Indonesian) were skeptical about that statement and said that that statement as "cliche".

So, her question is, which one of the teacher shows more faith? I thought it was so clear, the Malaysian teacher has the most faith, isn't it?

However she said that, the faith between those 2 teacher was very different.

The Malaysian teacher faith was on WHAT: she believe that the disabled children on that organization will walk and talk. It was the result they focused on.

However, the Indonesian teacher's faith were focused on WHO: they believe that Jesus, is The One that will make the condition of the disabled be a tool to glorify His name, even though maybe they will not walk and talk at all until the end of their life. 

It was a simple comparison yet it changed my whole point of view about faith.

BLIND DEVOTION to God is something that we have to shift our point of view. I realize that most of the time I put my faith in results; like, I believe that I will get a better job someday, will be more stable financially someday and blah blah, however I often forget to believe that God will make my life to be the tool of His Glory despite of any sh*t that happens in my life. Again, it's not WHAT we put our faith on, but WHO. Believe, and we will see, not vice versa.

And that's the end of the sermon session.

Confusing topics, I know, but I just have to write it.

I hope the short summary about what my daily bread today will become an eye opener to you guys who took some time to read. I knew I'm not the expert of re-writing sermons onto a short blog-style daily devotion, but at least I can share bits of life-changing moment to whomever find this, well, life changing too.

Happy Sunday, may God always be with us and see you on the next post!

Yolanda

2 comments:

  1. Great sharing, Yolanda.. Salam kenal, gw Yunita.. Thx for reminding about faith 😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yunita!
      Sama2.
      Selamat membangun iman (for both of us) :)

      Delete