Sunday 7 February 2016

What I Ate in Hong Kong

In this post I just want to share a little bit about what I ate in Hong Kong back there. Since I had quite a lot of photos I decide to make one specific post for this. Enjoy the picture and sorry you can't enjoy the taste. *smirk

To the point! 

I bought this VLT once I reached Hong Kong. I remember last time my friend whose a local bought me this and from there somehow this VLT brand becomes Hong Kong trademark drink (at least in my mind). 

Honestly I think this drink is very sweet. Tried the less sugar one and wahhh still too sweet for me. I don't know. This drink kinda didn't work out for me. All the Japanese brand tea were not sugared one (Japanese think that putting sugar in your tea is VERY weird) so I think I've get used to it and one reason to be blame for too. Bravo for the size, though!


Next was the One Star Michelin wanton noodles with shrimp dumplings by Ho Hung Kee. Ordered the small one, around 40hkd If I correct.


It was.. OK.  I don't knooooow. I just want this food to blow me out but somewhat It fails to impress me. The other day I tried the very cheap street wanton noodle also and If it were to be compared with Ho Hung Kee's one, definitely this one is the winner. However it still not until the point that you wanna visit and eat here over and over again. End of story.

Let's move on.

The next thing that excites me is Hong Kong super unique desserts and so far I'm not disappointed by what I ate at all. However, due to their (mostly) ugly appearance, the photo won't be as delicious-looking as the taste :(

The one that I managed to try was Sweets Dynasty's Mango Sago something. Didn't quite remember the name but It was so refreshing!


The picture was sooo... bland looking hahaha.

Ordered this egg-filled fried sesame balls too to balance the sweetness of the dessert. This one is yum!


Tried the other sweets at Honeymoon Dessert too. I had it in Indonesia before, but it was an honor to taste it in their real origin place; however I forgot to take picture of it. Tried the sesame and almond dessert with nut mochi balls (the name.. I forgot. My bad) and it taste great too!

So far thumbs up for Hong Kong desserts! 

Now next to the worst one in this post:

Yat Lok Roast Duck Rice-Noodle. hkd80. Overpriced and such a pain in the a** to eat.

Looks delicious right. See all the shiny parts here and there HOWEVER the experience of eating this was, what, craziness.


Let's get to the points: Yat Lok is very hard to find for me, as a single tourist please prepare to be moved around even when you're in the middle of eating even when you say n0(happened to me, they just grab your bowl with no mercy and moved me around), no tissue (want tissue add 3hkd, please), the rice-noodle was so slippery and hard to catch with chopstick and what makes it worse was the rice-noodle was chopped here and there so you kinda can't slurp it altogether.

Chopped and slippery rice-noodle + chopstick = you're worst nightmare. Maaaaan I can't believe I went to this place! Wish I order some other stuff rather than this.

I don't even want to comment on the duck anymore. Give me back my hkd80 I can buy 4 bowls of desserts for sure.

Luckily, from there, it seems that my over expectation of HK food drop drastically so from here on point the food taste better and better.

The next "big" thing that I tried was the famous Tai Cheong Bakery egg tart.

Shiny shiny egg tart............


...however not my most favorite. I've tried several egg tarts that was definitely better than this. The pie was not crunchy enough; and the middle part was too bland for my liking.

Maybe all HK style egg tart is like Tai Cheong one? Anybody can explain?

I went to Macau and definitely LOVE the Portuguese egg tart more, crunchy and sweeter; just the same as my expectation. I think this is a matter of personal taste already; not that Tai Cheong one was bad. It was nice however not my most favorite.

Moving to the next one was a hot bowl of soy milk and sticky-rice bun that I had for breakfast in Mongkok area. 

When I went here the owner was a very traditional lady in her mid 50 with ZERO english. So I only say "good one, good one" to her and I think she catch it (?) and she brought me this! and DEFINITELY not dissappointed!! You go auntie!!


The hot soy milk was literally the king of all of it; the sweetness was just right and combined with the salty sticky-rice filled bun, everything was just, heavenly morning. 1 thumb up for the auntie, another for the taste, and the rest of my (feet) thumb added because of this healthy style of a breakfast :)

The next before the last one was this recommended French Toast (?) from Mido Cafe near Tin Hau temple.


Love the cafe ambiance, love the taste too.

I never had this kind of food for whole my life to be honest! A bread dipped in egg and fried, eaten with maple syrup and butter. A Little bit oily but it was nice! The milk tea balance the sweetness and washed away the oily feeling. Perfect combination. 

I tell my Singaporean friend about this food and he shocked; he told me he ate this stuff almost everyday as breakfast when he was in Singapore. Seriously. Indonesian didn't know this stuff at all how can hahahah.

And this is the last recommended food that I can remember eating (and the last photo of food that I had) which is HK famous Polo Bun by Kam Wah Cafe.



Taste nice, crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, perfect paired with (again) the milk tea. One is enough to make me full until lunchtime. 

The one thing that concern me with this cafe was the service: zero English and very understaffed, and even some of the staff can scold customer in some ways. Consider I'm used to Japanese way to service customer (which customer is the KING), this one was a mega culture shock for me! Well, what an experience, I have to say.

----------------------------------------------

For overall, my food-adventure in Hong Kong was quite fun! Got some disappointment and shocked about several things here and there but on the other hand the good one was really good so It kinda balancing everything out in the end.

I've tried to follow people's recommendation here and there using travel books, blog reviews, and stuff, some works for me, the others not. On the other hand when I tried some stuff randomly at some points, it turns out to be better then what I expected it will be. Strange, indeed, but I realized that's the exciting part of a new experience. 

At least I know that I didn't regret trying every single thing that I have tried back there. Well, except the Roast Duck one, sorry. However I still wished that I have much more time (and another stomach) to try several food that I didn't have time to try back there (such as their dim sum, and hotpot rice). 

Maybe I will be back there again someday; definitely won't miss the dim sum and hotpot rice next time!

See you on the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment