Friday 5 February 2016

Ticking My Bucket List: Hong Kong

Finally realized one of my postponed 2015 wishlist; to visit Hong Kong this year. Decided to fly there 2 weeks ago, and spent 5 days in Hong Kong and 2 days in Macau.

And this, was my first solo overseas trip! I'm kinda proud of myself!

My one week Hong Kong Itinerary was quite simple: 
  • Day 1 spent mostly arriving in airport, searching for sim card, check in and went directly for Victoria Peak,
  • Day 2 used to explore Repulse Bay, Stanley, and spots between Sheung Wan and Causeway Bay,
  • Day 3 and 4 went to Macau,
  • Day 5 spent exploring Mongkok to Victoria Harbor,
  • Day 6 for Lantao Island and shopping for souvenirs around Mongkok area,
  • Day 7, purely spent at airport.
So for overview I spent 2 days on the hipster Hong Kong Island, then 3 days on Kowloon Island. While Hong Kong Island is on the modern and western-ish side, Kowloon is a little bit more traditional. Loved the contrast from both of it.

As the photo were a little bit too much for me to upload; let me share several highlights that really impressed me on point!

The first one was taken at the famous one dollar million view from Victoria Peak, cost me hkd83 to ride the tram up here.


Snap these gigantic building along the walk to The Peak Tram.


Went on the outer side of Hong Kong too on the second day; Repulse Bay and Stanley. I can say I LOVE these two spots the most! TOTALLY my HIGHLIGHT of the whole trip ever!

Who hate beaches. Everybody love beaches! Except nobody is here at that time as it was quite cold to go to the beaches during Hong Kong winter. Not as cold as Japan though.





The walk continued to famous spots on Stanley; the Murray house and Stanley Markets.


Finish with these two, went back to the center of the city and walk from Sheung Wan to Causeway Bay.

Photos taken randomly in area around near Central Station.




Too much photo wtf can't share all I'm sorry.

Moving on to the Kowloon Island, it gave me a nostalgic feeling of a kind old Chinese movie setting where everything is so crowded, lively and more traditional compared to Hong Kong Island.

Impressed by how they can build such building in such small spaces.




My visit to several the Tin Hau Temple. I visited several temples around there and the style of each temple were almost the same.


And not forgetting the Avenue of Stars and Victoria Harbor!


Met the legendary Uncle Bruce Lee. My dad say hi.


And the finish point from my one day walk from Mongkok was this Victoria Harbor. Oh yes, I walked the whole day.


The Symphony of Lights show was a little bit underwhelming, but it was alright. I expect some crazy perforance though, such as firework and everything.. yeah.. You don't get your expectation so high for some reason.

To be honest I planned to explore Kowloon area for 2 days but it seem to be cleared in one day only, so with an excess of 1 day left (the sixth day) I decided to have a short impulsive trip to Lantao Island via Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car to see the Big Buddha and Po Lin Monastery which on the same area altogether . It was freezing up there!!





after that I just spent the day hunting for several souvenirs and a little bit of shopping. 

What I love about Hong Kong is that it was pretty safe for a lone women traveler like me as long as I pay attention to common sense of safe traveling. 

However what I love the most was it is very walk-able everywhere!

I walked from Sheung Wan to Causeway Bay one full day with stopping in several points such as Hong Kong Park, Cathedral etc and it was damn fun! I think I walked more than 25.000 steps at that day! Talking about being healthy. Moreover in Kowloon Island I felt that it was even closer to walk from one point to one point, I walked from Mongkok to Victoria Harbour which several stops too along the walk. Totally love it!

Hong Kong has been so totally nice with me and I'm soooooo glad I went there. I'm not gonna say it was my favorite place on earth but I wouldn't mind to go there again If I have some "empty" holiday period. Well, I will probably choose to go to new places though :)

Will talk about the food and moreover, Macau in the next post!

I hope I didn't postpone my post just like several months ago, again, hopefully.

Cheers to a great holiday I had!

No comments:

Post a Comment