Sunday 23 June 2013

Man of Steel Review

Watched Man of Steel 2 days ago. Not as exciting as I expected it to be. Yes Henry Cavill (Hey Henry now I am your fan, definitely) and special effects are really an apple of the eye, but for the storyline? I don’t think so. With Zack Snyder as a director and Christopher Nolan as storywriter, my expectation in this one is super high and yet in the end I feel that despite the film was good, I didn’t see anything that gave me goose bumps.

In my opinion somehow everything goes very fast yet predictable. The storyline however really are depicting Christopher Nolan character of writing stories (with jumping scenes of different time frame) which already are proven to be successful as Memento or Inception. However in this case, in several jumping scenes it just perfectly fit for the story and touching hearts, while in several other jumping, it is a little be forced to be aligned with the movie and somehow (I don’t know, maybe it’s only me) I am confused with which time frame come first another. The border between the beginning and the end of jumping time frame is not too recognizable.

Furthermore I think the storyline are forced to be fit into 2 and half hours resulting in little emotions showed and felt between each character because they are competing with the short time target. Everything was happening too fast even before I realized what’s going to happen on the next scene.  In the end I can only say that this movie really is just focused on the extraordinary special effects. On the other hand however, both Zack and Nolan introduced a new way to deliver a superhero movies that more logical and realistic with current 21st century.

There are 3 things I’m glad I noticed that in this movie, which are unusual and glad of: 
  • The movie is not all about the Superman. They try to depict the concept of a newcomer superhero (such as Clark) from another view of human and society. It’s not like people are going to be excited and welcomed the first time they saw something like (for example) Spiderman right?? In reality now, maybe people will fear and ask and reject extraordinary people like that and in this movie, they reflecting the natural reaction perfectly. The main character was blended in perfectly with all the society reactions, not as the usual superhero that always gets primary attention and exposure and sudden fame. Don't expect a grande and breathtaking welcome of the superhero in this movie. It's time for a superhero movies to be more realistic.
           "Jonathan Kent: People are afraid of what they don't understand."

           "Perry White: Imagine how our world would react if they came face to face with this..."
  • Clark’s nickname for “Superman” and the meaning of the “S” symbols described quite elegant and cool. See it for yourself. They are not forcing it, it came out naturally.
  • Finally Superman realized that underwear are wore INSIDE the suit, not outside it. Finally man, finally!

Uhm, what can I say is that… I am far more excited and get that more “Oh Shit” time when I saw FF6 for sure. This is only another prove to me that I am not a fanatic fan of superhero movies I guess. I didn’t say this movie is bad, only it didn’t meet my super high expectation (as we always said, expectation always disappointing) but still a very worth movie to watch in the end.

Anyway, this is a really amateur version of review from me (and my first movie review too). Don’t take it too seriously dude! It’s only one fool’s opinion! Just go and watch it to have your own opinion about this movie :) 

3 comments:

  1. Instead of being very, very happy with the movie, I was just optimistic that the sequels will probably expand on this universe and make it even better. Let’s hope that is actually the case. Good review Yolanda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review - I watched it as well, and didn't think it was anything "OMGOMGOMG" (good). xD I just watched it laid back, it was only "alright" for me.

    The camera angels moved way too fast for my eyes. *___*

    Would you like to follow each other on Blogloving/GFC? Junniku blog [Click!]
    - A Korean fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog!

    ReplyDelete